Thursday, September 10, 2009

Kailahni is One!

 
Posted by Picasa

Our baby girl turned 1 today. It's hard for me to think about the events that unfolded in her life on this day just one year ago. I tried to tell Kailahni her "birth story" today as I got her ready for her nap. I tried to explain to her about her birth mother (the woman, I know, must have thought of her a million times today) and the difficult choice she had to make. I tried to let her know that we will always honor this woman, whoever she is, for allowing Kailahni to have a life. I tried to explain how sad we are that we couldn't get to China sooner than we did, but how happy we are that we are together now. But, I don't think I had much success in expressing all these "truths" to her. She sat on my lap, giggled at me, tried to play beek-a-boo a million times, played with my hair and pointed at my nose (her new skill). For all she knew, I was telling her the funniest story she has ever heard. I guess, for now, that's as it should be.

The fact that Kailahni is letting us love her is the biggest gift we could have ever been given! She has opened her heart to us, she TRUSTS us...that is such an unbelievable blessing. I could stare into her beautiful, brown eyes for hours. She's a precious soul and one that will be treasured by her family forever!

12 comments:

Terri said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Kailahni!

Is that the dress from the matching party?

S.Wise said...

Happy Birthday Kai! I loved hearing your sweet little giggle yesterday!

I love what you wrote.... one day you will be successful telling her the story, but until then, the smiles, giggles and peek-a-boo will do the trick! :)

Kayce said...

Happy BIrthday Kailahni!!!

Lisa Hertzler said...

Happy Birthday Kailahni!!! What a beautiful baby and I LOVE the dress. Wishing you all the best!!
Dennis and Lisa Hertzler
Bradenton, FL

Margaret said...

Mary she's just beautiful, and I'm so glad you had her with you at home to celebrate this important milestone! Can you post a video to your blog?

Cecilia Anderson said...

Happy birthday, Kailahni! Your story about telling her her birth story is so sweet. I'm sure she is the happiest little girl alive today!

Love, Cecilia

knittin' mama said...

Happy birthday, Kailahni! We wish you all the best.

Jenny, Joe, Anna and Mary

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kailahni!!!!!Hugs to you Mary(my baby girl's angel)!! Dani

Miran + Emily said...

Happy Birthday Kailahni!

My crazy crazy life said...

Mary, I've been thining of you and her and about this day. I'm sure her birth mother thought of her and I only hope that she can know in her heart that Kai is being cared for by a new family and a new wonderful mommy that loves her dearly! Love ya
Jaime

Mardi said...

Oh, happy birthday Kailahni!! She is just soo sweet! I have sat and told Lauren her story as well. I get similar responses. :) However, one time she said, "no!" and then gave me a big, big hug with her arms and legs tightly around me. I wasn't sure of what to make of that. Isn't it just so amazing to exerperience their love and trust. It's just the best! :)

Mardi said...

Just stopping by to say hi. I'll call soon and catch up! Love ya! :)